Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Do You Work Here?

Anyone who works in a service industry will recognize this as possibly the most annoying question in the world. I cannot count the number of times I am asked this question in a single day. Nevermind the bright red lanyard around my neck bearing the JC Penney insignia, nevermind the name badge attached to this lanyard. Not to mention the clothes I wear make it possible to distinguish me as either a high flying power broker out shopping JC Penney on my lunch break or an obvious employee. This question really gets my goat.

Now before you start jumping to conclusions, yes I realize that 99% of the people who ask me this already know the answer. In fact, there are only two general reasons a person would ever ask such a silly question. 1)They obviously know I am an employee and they need help with something, but they can't come up with a better line to get my attention or 2)They obviously know I am an employee and are upset with the lack of service in our store, and are asking cynically to make a point about our poor service.

Well, to the first group of folks I say
"Come on! Stop insulting your own intelligence and come up with a better line. I am more than willing to help, just ask me!"


To the second group I say
"Piss off you crazy bitch, this isn't the 50's anymore. We don't have a staff of 'sales clerks' to do your personal shopping."


I give you the finger ma'am

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

totally dude. look, I'm commenting on your blog so you're not lonely. call me this weekend and we'll hang. maybe friday or sunday. love ya, anne

MCMCMCLY said...

Thanks for reading Anne, I'll call ya when I get in. You free on Saturday at all?