Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Cosmos



"The Cosmos is everything there is, everything there was, and everything there will be." - Carl Sagan

The Science channel has been airing episodes of a famous old television show about exploring the universe. The cosmos as hosted by Carl Sagan is a great tool for learning about the fundamental theories of nature as we have come to know them. Personally, I like the show because Sagan's voice is so unique. He could be describing the details of American tax law, and you would still be on the edge of your chair.

The show reminds me of an old roommate I had. Her name was Jennifer, and all of my friends thought she was a real bombshell. But she was in a relationship with a rather plain, almost dorky frat boy named Carl. Because Carl had no obvious personality traits, my other roomie Mary and I spent a lot of time trying to make him more interesting. Now, this was about the time when Sagan's "Contact" had just been made into a film. And Mary and I, for some unknown reason, started referring to Jennifer's boyfriend Carl as 'Carl Sagan.'

This upset the real Carl enormously, I suspect mostly because he didn't know who Carl Sagan was. Anyway, a year later we all moved to new places, and I lost track of Jennifer and Carl. I am pretty sure I heard they got married, but where they are now I have no clue. Jennifer and Carl, if you are still out there in this giant cosmos of ours, for god sakes start watching this show, you might learn something.

No comments: