Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Meltdown

Picture it:

Minneapolis.

Friday, January 23rd, 2006.

I come home from work ready to check my email and do various other interneting. I flip up the top of my Sony VAIO notebook and this is what I see:




The writing is a little blurry in the picture, so in case you can't read it I'll paraphrase: DANGER! DANGER!! DANGER! YOUR COMPUTER IS ABOUT TO IMPLODE!

Well, how bad could it be right? I tried letting the computer boot up and get into windows to do some last minute, emergency backing-up of important files. Of course, I have a 300G external drive that should have a complete system backup on it, but I was too lazy to do the file transfers when I bought the thing, and of course I never got 'round to doing it at all. So I was hopeful that I'd be able to save at least a few things before my system took its final nose dive. Turns out it was pretty bad already. Here's what my computer looked like after about 20 minutes of trying to load windows:




I have lost everything from the old Sony. Programs, files, any and all contact information I may have had for you, etc, etc. Basically about 50% of my life died with my old hard drive. Should have backed up those files...

So here's the brand spankin' new computer:



It's a Toshiba.

And I have to tell you, buying a computer these days is a rip off. Gone are the days when these things came loaded with really good, free software. Now you get 30 day trials of MS word. What a joke.

But at least I am back. I need your help in regaining contact info. If you think I might know you, please send your email address and other pertinent information to mcmcmcly@earthlink.net

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not like you to give up so easily, Dave.

MCMCMCLY said...

Surrender? I have not yet begun to fight! I may have a solution thanks to Rick, and a german who likes computersuw a little too much. There may be hope for my old machine yet.

Lord of the Barnyard said...

this is so almost enough to get me to record all the phone numbers out of my cell.

but no, couldn't happen here.