Saturday, January 21, 2006

Why (insert your cable provider here) Sucks

Back to the Web. The guy who came to install my cable service was great. I called him Friday morning, and I had working cable television and internet service by 5 PM. This is almost unheard of. No problems at all really. He showed up on time, set it up and left. Nice guy too.

The problem is with the cable company itself. Here's my minor beef:
The back of the digital cable box has a 'digital audio out' jack. I tried hooking the cable box up to my stereo via this option, but no sound. I thought maybe I had a faulty cord, so I went to Target and laid down $20 for a new one. Take two: still no luck. I was sure it was a problem with my stereo receiver, and spent a bit of time flipping though menu's, changing settings, and the like to see if I could get sound.

Nope.

Then I figured out that the truly digital channels on the "digital cable" had sound with the digital audio connection, but the analog channels (everything you would ever watch) did not. Now it's not my system's fault, so I call Time Warner customer service. Five minutes later the rep tells me the digital audio output on the back of the box is not active. "Yeah, it's on there, but it doesn't work. They had originally planned to offer it, but then changed their minds for some reason" Strike Three.

Okay fine. No big deal. I'm not such an audiophile that I can't watch my television with a standard composite stereo connection. I can take the cable I bought back to Target, and get my money back. The problem I have is that Time Warner claims to offer this capability on their website.

Free markets work wonderfully when they are actually free. But there are some commodities that simply don't fit nicely into the global village, or even the local village for that matter. The answer to my problem with the cable company would naturally be to switch my service to a more customer friendly competitor. But because of the massive infrastructure costs of multiple cable networks in a city, there is no competition.

Okay fine, this is an understandable restriction for this specific product/service, but if you eliminate competition in a marketplace, you must make some attempt at regulation of the resulting monopoly. (Actually, there is competition in the industry, but it is at a level higher than the end user. Municipal governments decide which service provider to grant access to the infrastructure, but the key to winning a government contract is not end-user customer service. Ask yourself, 'What can I do for the Government?' Not 'What can I do for the consumer' if you will) While there may be some minimal regulation in the form of price protection; in terms of the integrity of the company's stated products/services there is no refuge for the consumer. We get screwed.

This is the same problem that plagued the British railway system when it was initially privatized in the 1980-1990s. If Virgin is the only company with rights to use track or station platforms in your city and you are not pleased with their level of service,then you as a consumer are left out of the market equation. You have no alternative. Thus, loosely regulated companies begin skimping on maintenance, on-time results, and customer service in general. Imagine what happened to train service in Britain.

Admittedly, satellite providers are starting to provide competition for the cable companies. But even with the increasing competition from Satellite providers, local cable companies have not been quick to change to a more customer focused business model. Why? I'm not sure. My guess is that cable companies still have a majority of the market share, and as such feel no need to change their policies.

So what can consumers do? I dunno, I just analyze the problems. I don't fix 'em.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a note: in des moines the majority of cable comes from mediacom. However, in my little complex, our cable and internet comes through a company called vision systems. My complex signed a contract with vision systems that says it is the only cable provider to come to our residents.
vision systems is shit. (they've gotten notabley better in the last two years) And my service only goes out maybe once a month rather than every 9 or 10 days.
Since the owner of the complex signed this contract, I can't change to mediacom or dish or anything else. which i find strange. we could begin a discussion on rentor's rights, but I'm tired.
So I have to pay 80 dollars a month or shitty cable and internet service, just because my landlord found it convenient.
Granted it has gotten much much better in the last two years. Then, I couldn't get internet connection or even un-fuzzy cable channels because there was "bad weather" near their satallite. Even if it was clear in Des Moines. whatev. Now, I only lose my premium channels, for no good reason. Yesterday they worked. Today they don't. After having uncountable cable dudes out to my apartment, i've given up, and just eat the fee.
i like to be raped.
once upon a time, service meant "service." remember that?
You're getting me started. Don't get me started. ...
wanna talk about qwest? Never ever again. Even if there was no other option would I buy anything through the qwest company. And I got screwed by them 6 years ago.
I don't want to talk about it.
hey, davo, let's party soon!!! call a bitch every once in a while!

Anonymous said...

VISIONSYSTEMS IS NOT A CABLE PROVIDER...THEY ARE LEECHES ON THE WALLETS OF OWNERS/RENTERS WHOSE BOARDS OR APT OWNERS WERE SUCKERS TO SIGN CONTRACTS WITH THEM. I LIVE IN A CONDO IN ND AND THE MORONS SIGNED A 30 YEAR CONTRACT WITH 19 YEARS REMAINING....NO DIGITAL CABLE....NO HI DEF....AND ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE....THEY OPERATE DURING OFFICE HOURS 8-5 M-F....YOU'D BETTER HOPE YOU DON'T WORK A REAL JOB BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER GET CUSTOMER SERVICE...GIVE ME A REGULATED COMPANY ANY DAY....VISIONSYSTEMS IS NOT REGULATED BY ANYBODY....MOST COMPLEXES HERE HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF THERE CONTRACTS....I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER LIVE ANYWHERE WHERE CABLE CHOICE IS NOT AN OPTION