Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The News is Next


I am not particularly sentimental, and as such am not much for collecting mementos, but there are a few exceptions. I'd like to introduce everyone to my scratch-n-sniff Carl Kassell window cling. My unusually large-headed buddy here is a reminder of my days in public radio. My last year at WOI was also the first year of "Wait,Wait" and the people at Chicago Public Radio sent these to us. Go ahead and scratch your computer screen and see if you can tell what flavour of coffee Carl prefers.

I have kept this silly thing for nearly five years now, and it's always someplace where I can see it. I think I like it so much because the job at WOI was the best I've ever had. Unfortunately, my employment there had to end the day I graduated from university. I've been looking for a similar experience ever since and so far I haven't found it. I keep Carl because he reminds me that I still have hope. That I have felt good about my work before and that just maybe I can feel that way again in the future. Or maybe I just think having a Carl Kassell window cling is pretty damn cool.

"Wait Wait" is a great show. And for any loyal listeners who might have wondered, a quick web search reveals that Roy Blount Jr is NOT related to Congressman Roy Blount of Missouri. So that settles that.

2 comments:

Cupcake said...

I'll give you twenty bucks for the scratch n' sniff Karl. God, I want that so badly.

MCMCMCLY said...

The best part is that after nearly five years the scratch n' sniff still works. Well really you never had to scratch anything, it just smells like plastic coffee.