Thursday, January 12, 2006

Squirrel Fight

Yesterday I surprised a squirrel, or rather a squirrel surprised me, on the way out the back door for a smoke. He was rummaging through our flower-pot-turned-ashtray looking for a scrap of nourishment. I opened the door, he froze. I stamped my feet in his direction but it was no luck. He was not going to budge. I decided not to directly engage my fellow mammal because I didn't want to go to urgent care with a squirrel bite, so I shut the door hoping he would take that as his 'all clear' to bust it outta there.

Nope.

I opened the door again to find the squirrel poised ready to run directly into our apartment. Realizing his sinister intentions, I slammed the door in his face. Then I looked out the sliding door to make sure I had scared him away. Finally it was safe to go outside.

This reminds me of the time a squirrel fell on Andy in Des Moines. I am not making this up. Ben Heykes, Andy, and I were walking down the street when two squirrels zipped past our feet in a frenzy - one being chased by the other. Andy was walking just ahead of Ben and me. The chasee scurried up a young sapling next to the sidewalk. The branch he took refuge on was not strong enough, and it bent severely causing the squirrel to lose it's grip and fall directly onto Andy's head. Really funny. Maybe you had to be there.

No comments: