Monday, August 07, 2006

PR3 Update

The third season of Bravo's smash hit, Project Runway, is in full swing. Here's my completely valid, worthwhile opinion of how the show is going so far.

I'm thrilled to report that the production team listened to viewer complaints, and the amount of over-dubing has been dramatically reduced. Or at least there is added attention to making the dubbing more seamless. Get it? Seamless?

This year's cast is by far the most competitive yet. Aside from the chick who was auf'd on the first episode, there are no clear weak links. Sure, some people may not like a particular designer's style, but in terms of ability and creativity I think there's a lot of parity this go around. Also, the characters seem more genuinely interesting as individuals that PR2. These people are interesting without gimmicks from the producers. Which leads me to my next observation...

There are way too many gimmicks from the producers this year. Most notably, the contestants used materials from their apartments for the first challenge. When they returned home from the workroom expecting to find newly furnished apartments, they were surprised to learn the rooms had not been remade.

I love Tim Gunn as much as the next openly gay American, but I have to say it feels as if he's getting paid for every utterance of his trademark "Make it work" and "Carry On" catch phrases. Obviously he's used these phrases liberally throughout the first two seasons, but they always felt like a natural part of the conversation. Now it often feels awkward and unnatural when he says it. Maybe he's just become ultra conscious of the phrases, and now feels uncomfortable saying them without first giving a little wink to the camera.

So who's my early pick for the winner? Its so early in the season that the show has only had time to concentrate on a few of the contestants. But from what I've seen so far, I like Bradley as a possible sleeper candidate for the win. I'd guess he'll be joined in the final three by Jeffrey and Uli.

Watch what happens!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bradley kicked the bucket dear... I'd say perhaps Uli and Kaine... Get Vincent out of there... Angela's doing better but she's going to croak on her little rosette things...

MCMCMCLY said...

PR3 contestants beware, I have the kiss of death. Sorry Bradley.