Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I three the sandbox

My mother belongs to a teaching organization called PEO. At least she used to. As a child, I would regularly be upset to tantrums because PEO is one of those kind of clubs where you aren't allowed to tell anyone what "PEO" acronymizes. I used to go into terrible rages when my mother, my own kin, would not divulge this secret. I'm pretty sure I damaged a lot of furniture. If only she had told me. Think of the money my parents would have saved. Plus my therapist says this conflict is a source of some seriously deep issues.*

To this day I'm not entirely sure what PEO actually means, although I can venture to guess it's something like "Promoting Educational Opportunities."

Speaking of childhood tantrums, I hated going to church on Sundays. I specifically remember one Sunday I was feeling a little extra devious, so I hid from my parents in my closet (I know) for what felt like several hours. Of course, that was several hours of child hiding. So it was probably about 5 minutes. But I still got in a lot of trouble. And yes, I had to go to church that day as well.

Thankfully, sometime in late elementary my parents gave up on attending church regularly. Don't worry though, I found Jesus by myself in High School. Although I became quite the little hate-monger, I still avoided actual church services as often as possible. I just couldn't be asked. God and I were tight anyways -- he said it was ok.

*This is a lie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think of the PEO as the equivalent of the Free Masons for Female Educators...

MCMCMCLY said...

Free Masons. Oh, you mean like Fred Flinstone? Wait, thats not right...