Thursday, May 18, 2006

The power of Geek compels you.

I've decided to do the best possible thing one can do to lift spirits -- spend loads of money. Specifically, I'm thinking of purchasing some field audio equipment in order to do some radio documentary work. I'm looking into different equipment options, and here's where I'm hoping you PoE audiophiles will help me out.

What I want is a portable, durable audio recorder. Not the top-of-the-line $5000 model, but not the $50 at Wal-Mart model either. Here's what I'm looking into so far (this) and (this). Do you think it's better to go with MD or Flash for recording? Which gives better sound quality? Keep in mind I'll likely be working with uncompressed audio, but most pieces won't be more than an hour in length.

Also, what about microphones? Keep in mind that the mic would be used primarily for recording human voices, and not live music. Should I buy a recorder/mic set or just purchase each component separately?

Come on PoEers, I know you can come through on this one...

2 comments:

Cupcake said...

Have you decided to cheer yourself up by producing my podcast? That would be swell.

MCMCMCLY said...

Thanks for the advice ben. I still haven't decided exactly what to get but the sony stuff you suggested looks pretty sweet.