Thursday, May 25, 2006

If you had to be a piece of fruit in a fruit salad...

Today's Minneapolis Star Tribune had this little article about today's corporations and their eagerness to find the right people for the job. Having been on several different (mostly unsuccessful) job hunts in my short life, I've encountered some strange questions; the most perplexingly stupifying being "Given the choice, would you rather skydive or scuba dive?" What the hell?

*****************

I hate standardized 'personality' testing for jobs. I always fail them. I once sat through three hours of technical testing for a position with Qwest, and then was turned away from the position because I didn't pass the computerized personality test. The last test to be administered. Not only did I not pass, but the company had no system for giving any feedback as to why I did not pass. It was the most asinine thing, and I was mad about that one for weeks on end.

Besides my personal inability to pass these types of interview roadblocks, I also object to personality testing in a more general sense. It feels a lot like discrimination to me, not based on the typical discriminatory factors, but rather on how one might prefer to prepare a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. A question whose answer allegedly gives unique insight into an individual's ability to perform daily tasks. Ick.

*****************

Anyone else had a strange interview question? What's the most bizzare thing that's ever happened to you in a job interview (cupcake: nevermind -- we all know)?

1 comment:

Cupcake said...

Wait. I'm confused. What is the most bizarre thing that ever happened to me in a job interview?

I do have a story about those damn personality tests, though. I was applying for a crappy admin position at a big manhattan hedge fund. I had to take the personality test and analytical reasoning test online. My recruiter could not stress enough how important it was for me to do well on the analytical test. She said there was a minimum score and if I didn't pass it I would be done. She told me to take the test in a quiet place and give myself plenty of time.

The day after I took the test she called to congratulate me and tell me that I did very well. But then I never heard back from her. When I called a week later to see when I would be starting my new job she informed me that the went with someone else. Apparently, I did too well, the company thought I was overqualified and if I took the job I'd throw it over in three months for something that suited me better. I contemplated taking two subway trains just to punch this woman in the face. Why didn't you tell me to do well but not too well? I could have taken a dive! I'm not above that, you know. I guess I looked stupid and she didn't have much hope for me, thus her inspirational chat.

Yeah, I'm just looking in the mirror now. I do look pretty stupid. Can't say I blame her.