Thursday, September 07, 2006

Pre-emptive Dumping

This post is in no way related to the end of The Daily Dump, a great blog which for some reason never made it onto my daily "must read" list.

This post is about getting "dumped" after just one date. The hang up? I smoke, he doesn't. Read between the lines: "man, i really don't want to date anyone right now, how can i get out of this one?" Yet, we still have plans to go on a not-date later this evening. It's up in the air now, whether he'll follow through.

I think this is really funny. Most people I've told also laugh, then apologize for laughing. No need for apologies. But really, after one date?

I realize that smoking carries a significant stigma for a number of people. Maybe this is only because I am a smoker, but to me this sort of hang up seems like something a person could live with at least during the "get to know you" phase. If we hit it off but the smoking is an issue, then maybe it would be okay to talk about it and the impact on the developing relationship. Maybe my love-brain is moving slower than his - I dunno. Maybe he has us moving in together in a week or two, and so now seemed the appropriate time.

Maybe this is a Karma thing for my break-up with a former boy because of his vote for Bush in the Presidential election.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say continue smoking... quit if and when you're ever ready... and a republican... there's no such thing as bad karma for dumping a republican!