Monday, September 11, 2006

Gubenuj spelled backwards is

I know I'm late to the party here, but I just recently saw Junebug, and it was f-ing amazing. If I were into hyperbole, I would say its "one of the best movies of all time." But I'm not going to say that, even though I may have if you'd asked me 5 minutes after I first experienced it.

No doubt there is something in this film for everybody, but I think it especially fun to watch for anyone who grew up in a small town/rural environment, and later moved to the big city. It gets so many of those complicated emotions right, and it does so in a manner that feels effortless.

I love movies that don't feel the need to wrap up all the loose ends --to make you feel like a whole life experience fits neatly into an hour and a half. The fact that Junebug avoids this pitfall elevates the whole experience for me. I kept waiting to be disappointed by 'quick fix' resolutions that did not do the characters justice, but they never came.

How did I not see this one sooner?

1 comment:

Cupcake said...

This is one film both the Hipster and I agreed was amazing. How did you not see it sooner? You don't talk to us enough and take our advice seriously. That would be my guess. Make sure the farmer sees it too.