Thursday, March 09, 2006

What Else is There to Watch?

Last night ended another season of everyone's favorite reality television program, Project Runway. Thanks to Hedi, Michael, Nina, and of course Tim Gunn for another unforgettable foray into the world of fashion design. I don't know how I'd make it through the winter without you.

And the winner is: Chloe!

A bit of a shocker that was. Poor Santino just can't please and boy did Daniel V. really step off course. I'm currently working out a thesis about the downfall of Daniel V on this season's PR. He was my early pick for the winner. Things were going well for young Daniel for a while, winning challenge after challenge.

I appreciated him for his creativity and almost complete lack of ego. Initially. There is a turning point near the end of the show, after he had won several challenges in a row, where he became less and less the humble boy and more and more the pompous ass. By the time he got 'round to designing his collection for fashion week, his head had swelled to ginomous proportions.

One of the cute things about Daniel V was his ability to completely BS the inspiration for his pieces. I could never tell if he actually had a theme and just executed it poorly, or if he just designed whatever felt good, and then tried to make up a story to suit it. Whichever is the case, his explanations throughout this season were almost always long-winded and without merit.

As Jay might say "The talk doesn't match the dress!" (Burner)

Also, I ran this rather controversial idea past Rick last night with little success but I'm going to expand upon it here: I think Daniel V is fake gay.

This is not a criticism about whether he fits a particular stereotype, rather, what I mean is I believe he may be faking gay in order to gain standing in the fashion industry. Sounds crazy huh, but with so many designers being homos its not out of the question for a young guy with aspirations toward fame would pull such a stunt.

Admittedly, I have little or no evidence to back up my claim. Its just a gut feeling. I sense Daniel V. is the type of person who changes direction with the wind. Right now he's into fashion, and if being gay gives him an advantage I think he'd go for it.

I have another hunch that the producers of Project Runway just might agree with me. Next time you find yourself watching a Project Runway marathon of Bravo, look for the endless shots of Daniel checking out women. They are all over the place.

Obviously its not for me to decide whether he passes the test. Sexual identity is deeply personal. I do not claim to have any insight into his psyche, and he may very well completely and truly identify as homosexual. If that is the case, good for him. I'm just offering another perspective. Its a fun topic of conversation - gets people really riled up. Try it.

Auf wiedersehen!

No comments: