Friday, March 17, 2006

NC2What?

Tumultuous day for college basketball teams in the state of Iowa. On the day my alma matter fires its head coach, our rival university falls victim to one of the worst upsets in the men's basketball tournament since Iowa State v. Hampton, and the University of Northern Iowa loses as well.

Having witnessed the ISU/Hampton game in person, I have to say I empathize with Iowa fans. There's no worse feeling in college sports than being the big guy whose getting beaten up on by the little guy in a foreign gym where the entire crowd is cheering against you. People love an underdog, and for an ISU fan who is used to being one, it was a strange feeling knowing that so many people were cheering against your team.

As for the firing of ISU head coach, Wayne Morgan, I guess I'm of two minds. Firstly, it feels like the guy didn't really get a fair shake. He did have a fairly decent record in just three years, and even had some successes. At the same time, this year's team definitely under-achieved, and you could sense a real lack of discipline from our players. Ultimately, I think losing Morgan will hurt recruiting, but the right coach could make up for it by building us into more of a cohesive team (as opposed to a collection of talented players).

There you go. Bet you didn't think I'd ever write about college sports huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was kind of surprised he got fired, but not upset about it. He had one bad year out of three, but it was really bad.