Thursday, March 02, 2006

Tomorrow Belongs To Me

I have a somewhat perverse obsession with German propaganda from WWII. Even when I was much younger I used to read books about Joseph Goebbels and Dr. Josef Mengele, aka "The Angel of Death." I'll let you figure out why this person is remembered by such a gruesome nickname. When I was studying in Europe I ended up taking a tour of the Dachau concentration camp, outside of Munich, on Easter Sunday. The timing was coincidental, but it certainly made the whole experience that much more creepy. At least in my head at the time it did.

Anyway, I've always been perplexed by the German publics ability to seemingly not notice the round-up and mass murder of millions of innocent people. Of course, I also understand the heavy pull of wanting to be apart of something bigger than oneself. That's why I am so fascinated by the German propaganda machine. If the propagandists were good at one thing, it was making an emotional connection.

Listen to the song in the link below and think about how it makes you feel. Festive, happy, boastful, proud, joyous? Everything is just peachy right?

Horst Wessel Lied

Now look at the lyrics of this song translated into English. Amazing how your mood immediately changes right?

Lyrics


Now think how you would feel if this was your only frame of reference. Most of the song's lyrics are not inherently evil. 'Bread for all,' 'fight for freedom,' 'soon we set things right.' If you have no alternative message, it seems reasonable a person might actually believe the Nazi's were the 'good guys.'

2 comments:

MCMCMCLY said...

Just another quick note, the song above is considered so reprehesible that (to my knowledge) it is still banned in Germany.

Tommy O said...

According to German history books World War II didnt even happen. Also, from a person who has also visited Dachau, there is something cold and unsettling just by standing inside there; a feeling that can not be described justly in words only felt by experience.