Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Its all Relative

I was in the UPS Store on Hennepin avenue the other day helping a friend mail a few packages when a young man who'd been standing in line behind us finally reached the counter and asked for some medium boxes. The guy working behind the counter looked at him, and then with as much attitude as he could muster into a single sentence said "Well, we've got a lot of boxes, and medium is kind of a relative term isn't it? I mean, we've got some that are 18x24 or some others too I guess. Like, what did you need them for?"

The guy has a point. What is medium anyway? And is medium to me the same as medium to you? But I bet you've asked some employee of some packaging company somewhere for a medium box.
A Related Question: How does medium box compare with stinky high box? Compare and contrast in 500 words or less.

4 comments:

Cupcake said...

Medium is anything in between small and large. It's not rocket science. My pet peeve is when you go into a Starbucks and some aw-shucks tourist oders a medium coffee. The Barista says "Grande? You want a Grande coffee?" as if to say "medium? what is this medium you speak of? I can only compute made up Italian words."

I worked in coffee bars for three years and although we also used stupid names for sizes I was able to understand customers quite clearly when they requested a small regular.

MCMCMCLY said...

Personally, I refuse to use made up words for my coffee purchases. I insist on ordering a small, medium, or large. Same with my french fries.

Cupcake said...

This post wasn't funny last week and it isn't funny this week. Oh wait, yeah, I guess it is kind of funny this week.

Anonymous said...

your blog is totally lame