Sunday, December 03, 2006

Yes Virginia

There is an Indian restaurant in the OC.

I went there for dinner just now in honour of Ben and the Rocks trip. (I figure they're somewhere over Hawaii about now)

My little piece of the far East is called Flavor of India, and it is attached to the Days Inn. Really its more of a conference room than a restaurant, and it took me the better part of two days of Internet research to verify its existence. Even then I had to drive by, and then finally ask the receptionist at the hotel if there was in fact still an Indian restaurant in the building before I got around to enjoying my meal.

All things considered it was pretty tasty - which is important when you have but one option. A little on the salty side, perhaps. Speaking of salty, you should have heard the woman sitting at the only occupied table besides my own. She was sitting with two cardiologists from UWEC, and she herself was presumably an English professor. The kind you would expect to find teaching literature in a town this size.

This woman was ridiculous in her naivety. At one point, she got stuck on something she'd allegedly heard on the radio about how Indian widows are required to give all their inheritance to the children, and then have to "beg on the streets." She was so convinced she was correct about this factoid that, in her ignorant bliss, she actually asked the waiter if this was true. And she kept repeating "begging on the streets" over and over, as if to reinforce just how superior she believed American society to be. He handled her surprisingly well, especially as I couldn't help but laugh at just how inconsiderate this woman was being.

I won't even go in to her comments on the 2006 Indian Telly Awards that was playing on the TV. Let's just say its a good thing Rajasree wasn't around to hear.

1 comment: