Monday, December 11, 2006

The Surreal Life

I had to open by myself this morning. The first time at the new store. I managed to successfully shut off the alarm without the cops showing up, but i did forget to disarm the cash room vault before I opened it. Well, at least now I know that the alarm sounds like.

Tonight I went to see For Your Consideration at the London Road 6 cinema. One of the neat things about living in a small town is that its possible to go to a movie and be the only person in the theatre. This was the case tonight. Its hard to tell just how funny this movie is, but I can tell you that it had me laughing out loud - and remember, I was the only human in the entire theatre.

After the movie I headed to one of the OC's many many many gay bars. Just because it was not even 11, and i don't work until 2 tomorrow afternoon. One of the sales associates from my store was at the bar. Now, I have a hard enough time going to bars with the supervisors who work for me, so you can imagine how awkward I felt hanging out with one of the rank and file. On his turf no less. This is one of the drawbacks of small-town living: everyone knows your business.

I kept thinking about how inappropriate it would be for me to be drinking with this guy if I were still in the cities. But here, with so few of "the gays" around, it feels as if I have no choice but to disregard some of the typical rules regarding employee/boss interactions, and just try to have a good time. A cause at which I failed miserably, as its now only 1 and I'm home in bed for the evening.

I'm thinking of having a party at the new pad once I'm settled. You should come, and bring lots 'o friends. I like people with friends.

No comments: