Thursday, December 14, 2006

Free at Last

It's my last night in the hotel. By 10:00 tomorrow morning I'll officially be one of those "homeowners" you've often heard about but never really met. Well, I'm here to tell you, dreams really do come true. You can afford a cheap-ass condo in the middle of nowhere. Look. If I can do it...

I've just finished Partly Cloudy Patriot. I like Sarah Vowell, even though I get the impression from reading her books that she's basically an average person who just happened to luck into a pretty rad life. One thing I respect about her, though, is that much of her intellect is obtained directly from primary sources. She doesn't read the cliff notes - even if she has to learn Latin. I've always fancied myself as a sort of jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of guy. I'm the guy who reads encyclopedia articles for depth, perspective, and scope on any given issue. I've often wondered how differently my opinions would have formed had I more often read source material rather than relying on someone else's processed interpretation of the matter at hand. Maybe its something I should revisit.

Who am I kidding. By tomorrow morning, all I'll be able to think about is whether or not that apricot paint really matches the sage window treatments I picked out. Of wondering if my basement is big enough for a pool table. Or attempting to make my furniture seem adequate for filling the extra space.

No comments: