Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Writing fiction is HARD




I've been trying to work out a short story that I might eventually be able to make into a very, very small movie. But it's been no less than ten years since I've tried to write something that wasn't at least partially based on real life events. I suppose its not that writing ficticious material is all that challenging - I can come up with all sorts of ideas. The problem is getting them down on paper without the sentences looking as if a 5-year-old were responsible.

I now understand why Kaavya Viswanathan used someone else's material so egregiously. It just looks, feels, and sounds better when someone else writes it. I am also highly critical of other people's writing when it comes off as trite, or just simply too direct. I feel like the sentence "Judy was sad." is too easy. I want the passage to make me feel Judy's sadness without ever using the word 'sad', or even better if you can make me feel Judy is sad without even mentioning Judy.

My writing therefore, could use more sentences like "Judy was sad." But like most people with my particular type of crisis of confidence, I must create enigma where none exists or needs to exist. After all, when the depth is false, its all just shallow thoughts posing as something more interesting. Yet what to do when the shallow thoughts are all you've got?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apparently so is updating a blog... your voyeurs are hungry for more Mr. Patriot!