Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Glass? It's basically empty.

Another weekend, another road trip back to the increasingly mecca-like twin cities. This pilgrimage has become a near certainty. If I have the weekend off, I'm driving to Minneapolis. Part of the plan this time was to see The Glass Menagerie at the NEW Guthrie theatre. This being the first production in the new building I've been remotely interested in seeing. The new complex has three performance spaces. The thrust stage, continuing in the tradition which made the Guthrie notable, is the largest. Followed by the Proscenium stage, with its red red red motif. And finally there is a small black-box studio for developmental works, and other non-traditional performances.

Menagerie was on the proscenium stage starring Tony award winner, Harriet Harris, as mother Amanda Wingfield, and Randy Harrison (Justin from Queer as Folk) playing young Tom. Judge as you will, but I'll now admit that this performance was the first time I'd either seen or read this particular piece of Americana. I've got to say everything is all fun and games until the last lines of the first act: "Wish for Happiness." Then its pretty much an emotional slippery slope right down to the end.

I like it!

For the life of me though, I couldn't stop thinking about Harrison as Justin from Queer as Folk. He'd be going through bits of dialogue, and all i could think was "I've seen you suck off some guy in an ally, and then spit his cum on the wall." It was distracting. After the show, while sitting at the bar with James, I verbalized this impression just as an innocent passer-by reached earshot. One can only imagine the thoughts that went through this stranger's head. Yes, he definitely heard me. And yes, completely out of context. And yes, it was at a gay bar. And no, he did not come back and ask for James' phone number.

I think I'm going to start a letter writing campaign to officially nickname this theatre "Big Red"

No comments: